Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Going another round: Crazy editor lady still at the helm of Bloody Parchment

So yeah, basically I'm doing this SA HorrorFest Bloody Parchment short story competition thing again this year. Why? This is my way of paying it forward to genre fiction authors who're looking to make a name for themselves. And hell, it's also about having a product that we can be proud of: the annual Bloody Parchment anthology which takes its name from the winning stories.

For two years running we've been blessed to have the support of eKhaya, the electronic imprint of Random House Struik. But now with the Penguin Random House merger, eKhaya is closing its doors. But not to worry. Dark Continents Publishing has stepped forward, and they'll be taking care of the admin.

So, what's in it for the finalists? All finalists receive a flat rate of $20 plus one paperback contributor copy of the anthology. We do not charge an entry fee. Money flows to the authors, not the other way round. In addition, the winner will receive a comprehensive round of edits on a novel-length work, as well as a manuscript assessment. The two runners-up will each receive a comprehensive round of edits on a first chapter of a novel or a short story.

Each year I also gather a panel of kick-ass judges. So, though I do the initial grading through the slush pile, the panel of judges (who are all involved in the publishing industry one way or another) will be the ones to rate and make the final selection.

Am I crazy to take this project on? Perhaps. But I find this far more exciting than watching TV, and it's ultimately so satisfying to unleash yet another kick-ass anthology out in the wilds. And I love my authors. You're all adorable and squishy, even if you're a pack of little divas at times. So, if you fancy you'd like to give this writing of horror a shot, go check out the submission guidelines here.

(Yes, I now I use the word kick-ass a lot. It happens.)

No comments:

Post a Comment