Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Luna's Children: Chuck Miller's 'The Beast'

Today's guest is Chuck Miller, one of the Luna's Children contributors. You can pick up Full Moon Mayhem and Stranger Worlds on Amazon.


We share an excerpt from his story, "The Beast" which Miller says was mainly inspired by the old EC horror comics with the double- and triple-twist endings. Also, the old TV series, The Fugitive.

EXCERPT:
People often ask me whatever became of Count Karl von Magnus, the celebrated monster hunter. I suppose they think I might have special knowledge of his doings, since I come from his home town and he and I are approximately the same age. I always tell them that he passed away quietly at his ancestral home, following a brief and utterly mundane illness.
The truth would be difficult for these people to swallow, and they would most likely spit it back in my face. Were I to reveal that I myself was Count von Magnus, I would not be believed.
My name was not really Karl von Magnus, nor was I ever a count. That was the only cloak of fiction I draped about myself in those days. Everything else about me was authentic. I was a monster hunter-- an extraordinarily gifted one. But the trade, I found out early on, is like many others; one's effectiveness is dependent on one's reputation. An amateur monster-hunter called Johannes Meyer, from a nondescript mountain village, will not inspire as much respect and cooperation as a mysterious Count who hails from everywhere and nowhere, whose origins and abilities are obscured by darkest shadows. 

Biography:
Chuck Miller was born in Ohio, lived in Alabama for many years, and now resides in Norman, Oklahoma, for no real reason. He is a Libra whose interests include monster movies, comic books, music and writing. He holds a BA in creative writing from the University of South Alabama.

He is the creator/writer of Tales of the Black Centipede, The Incredible Adventures of Vionna Valis and Mary Jane Kelly, The Bay Phantom Chronicles, and The Mystic Files of Doctor Unknown Junior. He has also written stories featuring such classic characters as Jill Trent: Science Sleuth, Armless O'Neil, The Griffon, and others.

Miller received the "Best Creeping Dawn: The Rise of the Black Centipede was published in 2011 by Pro Se Press. The second instalment in the Black Centipede series, Blood of the Centipede was published in 2012, and Black Centipede Confidential is slated for release in 2014. Vionna and the Vampires, the first instalment of The Incredible Adventures of Vionna Valis and Mary Jane Kelly, was published earlier in this year.

New Writer of 2011" Award from Pulp Ark. His first novel, the critically acclaimed

Links:
Black Centipede Blog; Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment